4.23.2006

Sunday Magazines Round-up


Do not anger this woman. Today's New York Times Magazine has a short interview with Madeleine Albright, which is as remarkable for her frankness as for the sketch of her personality provided in just a few lines. The highlight is the concluding exchange:

Q: It has become a cliché to say that powerful women scare off husbands and lovers. Do you think it is true?
Madam Albright: I don't think I ever would have been secretary of state if I had stayed married. But I loved being married. I was married for 23 years. I was very sorry when it ended.
Q: Will you marry again?
MA: I doubt it.
Q: Why not?
MA: Why?
Q: Companionship?
MA: I have lots of companionship. I am about to be 69 years old, and I have three daughters, three sons-in-law and six grandchildren. I am not looking to meet men. I also truly can't imagine who is out there who might be interested in someone like me. I'm intimidating, don't you think?
Q: I wouldn't want to have to arm-wrestle you.
A: I work out three times a week, and I can leg-press up to 400 pounds.

400 pounds!

Albright also laments the "unraveling", in her words, of the work she did as Secretary of State, and regarding Iraq mentions that, "you can't go to war with everybody you dislike." The Boston Globe Magazine has a heartbreaking article today of the effect of the war upon the state of Vermont. Lamented by conservatives as the blue-est of blue states, it also has one of the highest per capita number of National Guardsmen -- and casualties -- in the country.

No comments: