11.02.2005

Hope in Baltimore

An auxiliary bishop of Baltimore, Mitchell Rozanski, celebrated Mass at a parish in Severn, Maryland, on behalf of the Archdiocese, in ministry to lesbian and gay Catholics and their families.

From an attendee: "It gives me hope," said Ed Smith, 53, of Glen Burnie. "It says to me that we can be who and what we are intended to be and that people will accept it. That our religion will accept it and let us be Christians. It tells me that someone has been reading the Bible and learning that Jesus loves everybody."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is this story unusual? In one of my parishes up North (I'm a flitterer), there's a Mass for HIV positive people once a month. Yes, of course that's not the same, but it is right in the heart of the gay village, the congregation is predominantly white gay men (there are a few women who go up for the Sacrament of the Sick, too), and the homily I heard when I went addressed issues of particular concern to gay men and women.
(To be fair, I don't know of any other parish that does that...But there might be some, certainly!)

Hey, if I mention Up North too often, everyone has carte blanche to say, "Shut up, Celine!"

Meanwhile, I have to add that James Alison is indeed amazing.