1.10.2006

Impostor Syndrome

There's an article here on the usual academic phenomenon of feeling that everyone around one knows more, and that at any moment one will be found out to be an impostor.
I spent many hours of therapy discussing this, and instead I could have just gone to a high-priced workshop?

In seriousness, though, one of the best things about my academic department (in comparison with other departments I've heard horror stories from, say, from certain divinity schools on my current side of the river...) is the degree to which we have in the past been able to have frank conversations about our relative abilities and about how inadequate many of us feel. Having a group conversation in which you figured out the people you were most intimidated by were just as intimidated by you. So, while real collaboration may be difficult in academic environments, it can happen. Granted, none of us was going for tenure at the time...

No comments: